Like most IT pros we know, we occasionally have friends or family ask me to get them a job in IT. For some reason, a lot of the people who ask us this have a perception that everyone who works in IT is a millionaire or a billionaire. Aside from having an incorrect perception about IT salaries, few people outside IT seem to understand just how tough working in IT really is.
My reason for writing this article is to give you something you can send to your friends the next time that they approach you with unrealistic expectations of working in IT.
- The hours are long
- Your personal time will be interrupted
- You have to deal with a lot of angry people
- Work tends to be deadline driven
- People expect you to fix their home computers
- People lie to you all the time
- You have to keep your education current
- Things don’t always work the way they’re supposed to
- You may have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy
- Your job is to make yourself obsolete
See : http://goo.gl/ZJUXh